Tuesday, September 13, 2011

5 days- Already?

I can't believe it's almost been a week since I went in for surgery.

Things are going well.  I weighed myself for the first time since before surgery.  Since I've started the lap band journey, I am down 13 pounds.  Since surgery, I am down 6 pounds.  The doctor told me the first few weeks after surgery I can lose nothing, or anywhere from 10-12 pounds.  I expected nothing, but so far am down 6 more pounds.

My days have been altering on how I'm feeling.  If I feel great one day, the next I'm always exhausted and sore.  My husband thinks that I am doing too much on the days I feel great, making me more tired and sore.  Today I feel great, but am taking it easy.

My doctor's office called and set up my first follow up visit for September 27th; which is 19 days after surgery.  I didn't know if that was normal, since I thought he wanted to see me the first week after surgery.  Oh well.  The lady said that I will see him then, and schedule to go down two weeks later for my first fill.  So basically a month after surgery.

I've been doing alright with my eating.  Mashed potatoes have been good, but I've been leaning back to the broths and stuff, it tastes better lol.  I bought some Activia Vanilla yogurt, and although I'm not a plain or vanilla yogurt lover, I really like theirs.  The protein amount is good, and it tastes good.  It has a sweet and tart flavor, and I really like it.

I am using liquid vitamins as well as a liquid calcium (I used to take both as pills, but they told me no pills for a while).  The multi-vitamin is brown and tastes so tart it makes my jaws pucker.  I hate it.  The calcium tastes like a milk of magnesia, and it also sucks.  After I take them, I drink some apple juice; it usually takes away the funk taste in my mouth from them.

Last night my husband and daughter wanted some spaghetti, so I made some, and we all sat down to dinner, and it was the first night that was an eye opener for me.  I didn't like the fact that they got to eat noodles and sauce while I got some yogurt and a protein shake.  It bummed me out that I just scooped their meal in a bowl, and got out the measuring spoons for mine.  It's something I definitely need to adjust to.

On another note, I have become concern that I have yet to have a bowel movement.  Reading all these blogs about never trusting a fart, and when you do poop it'll be more like the runs...I have this like fear of using the bathroom.  Anytime I feel gas coming out the bottom end, I go straight to the bathroom.  The Mister finds this extremely amusing, but it's like a real fear I have.  I'm concerned that I haven't gone since last Wednesday....so, I called my Mom.  lol.

My Mom (just like the doctor) said it's normal, that it'll happen when it happens, not to panic.  I was told (by both) to drink lots of water and liquids, and it'll just happen.  That there is nothing I can eat or drink to make it happen.  For whatever reason, I only half listened.  I'm lactose intolerant, and last night ate some vanilla soft served ice cream.  Not very much, but what I considered enough (less than 1/4 cup).

I waited, waited, finally went to sleep.  Got up this morning, and no luck.  This is the first time ever that ice cream hasn't just gone right through me.  I don't understand.  On a negative note, it made my stomach super upset, so now I know, don't do that. 

- Until next time.


  1. Time flies by after surgery especially being a busy mom, I had mine 2 weeks ago today. You will feel so much better in a few days! It does take some adjusting but you sound like you are doing great!! Keep it up! xoxo

  2. I am so glad that you seem to be doing so well. Yes, bathroom problems can be an issue. I had to start using benfiber and I am still not everyday yet.