Thursday, September 29, 2011

First post-op appointment

I went to my first post-op appointment on Tuesday (9/27/11- almost 3 weeks after surgery).  I got to see my doctor, who is always a pleasure; and he had another doctor with him who is I guess interning to learn how to do lapband and what not...he was also a nice guy.

We looked at my weight, and talked about a plateau coming up, and I had mentioned that I had only lost 1 pound last week, and this week is looking like a 1/2 a pound.  The doctor then asked if I wanted a fill.  It caught me so off guard.  I thought fills were 6 weeks or so after surgery, and the doctor explained that if I thought I was ready, I could do it.

I didn't feel that I was ready.  I declined since I had to return to work that day, and wasn't sure how I would be feeling afterwards, or what my eating or drinking would be like, and my biggest concern- should I throw up.  I didn't want that to happen at work.

The doctor scheduled me to go in on October 22nd for my first fill, and now I'm concerned that I should have taken the fill on Tuesday, since that is four weeks away.  I'm trying not to get discouraged, and perhaps the fill would have helped me stay on track.  Either way, it's too late now, and I can't get my first fill until October 22nd.

In better news, I was approved to start working out.  Yes!  Along with that, I went to the gym for the first time in what seems like months, and got easily frustrated.  I was really sleepy yesterday, and cranky in general, so by the time I got to the gym my mood was not in sync with my mind's wanting to be there.  I walked on the treadmill, but not for long, before I decided to go home.  I am really bummed, more at myself than anything else, and hope that today will be better.

My husband recommended me trying to work out at home to see what I can do, if anything hurts, etc.  I may try that today, but I know he wants to go to the gym today when I get off work as well.  So we'll see how today goes.

I've been doing really well with my eating this week, up until today.  The new position I accepted, the lady I work with, she works through her lunch so that we can get out as early as possible (since she lives out of town).  That's fine, and kind of exciting to be able to get off early, but I'm on an eating schedule.  I tried to find snacks to take with me, and today learned we do have a microwave.  So I'm going to pack a lunch next week and when I'm hungry, just go heat up my lunch.

I was so happy to see new followers, and new people joining the lapband journey.  I hope that you all have as great of an experience as I have had.  I would do this journey again in a heartbeat.  I know I had a lot of emotions and questions when I was looking into things, and am free to answer anyone's questions should they have any.

- Until next time.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Dwindling!

    For what it is worth I think you were smart to wait on the fill. I'm not sure about other doctors but my doctor was pretty strict on giving me the 6 week healing period before I get a fill. I just think it is safer for us. My first fill isn't until October 26th and I too wish it were closer for fear that my progress is going to slow down.

    I wish I had a local gym the closest gym to us is a Curves and that is still a 45 minute drive. When I use to live in Bangor a larger city in Maine there were many gyms to pick from and I miss going to Planet Fitness. I use the Wii Fit program and I also walk. If I ever get really into exercise I will invest in some equipment other than the exercise ball and strength training pulls that I have.

    Congratulations on your weight loss! I know it may not seem like a lot but it is still movement in the right direction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had my first fill at about six weeks - I'm thankful for that too. It gave me time to ease into my band increasing my density of food over time - and I was ready by six weeks!

    Congrats on getting the ok to work out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there - new follower. Don't worry about waiting for the fill - it will take a few before they kick in anyway, and in the scheme of things it's such a short time. Sounds like you are doing really well. I look forward to following your journey.

    ReplyDelete